Military Academy Nominations
The honor of attending a service academy comes with the obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation. For more information, please review the page of Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Military Academy Nomination.
Members of Congress may nominate candidates for appointment to four of the five U.S. service academies: U.S. Military Academy (USMA), West Point, NY; the U.S. Naval Academy (USNA), Annapolis, MD; the U.S. Air Force Academy (USAFA), Colorado Springs, CO; and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA), Kings Point, NY. The fifth service academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy (USCGA), New London, CT, does not require a congressional nomination for appointment.
Congresswoman Stevens may nominate up to ten individuals for each vacant academy slot allotted to our district. In order to request a military academy nomination from Congresswoman Stevens, please complete the application form below. Additionally, you will need to submit the following items, in order:
- Completed application form, printed and signed (see below)
- Current photo
- Official school transcript
- Copy of your ACT and/or SAT scores (official copies are not required)
- Biographical essay – include why you want to attend a military academy, your long- and short-term goals, and your future plans if you do not receive a nomination
- List of your extra-curricular activities (clubs, leadership responsibilities, sports, awards/honors)
- Letters of recommendation – two letters from an academic source (coach, counselor, teacher). You may also submit a third letter from a non-academic source. These must be in separately sealed envelopes with the author's signature across the seal.
- An application opened directly with your desired academy or academies – this will not be submitted to our office
All documents should be mailed to Congresswoman Stevens' district office:
Congresswoman Haley Stevens
ATTN: Academy Coordinator
37695 Pembroke Avenue
Livonia, MI 48152
***All documents should be submitted together, in order and unstapled***
Please contact our district office at 734-853-3040 if you have any questions regarding the nomination process. Completed applications must be postmarked by Saturday, October 31, 2020. Late applications will not be accepted.
Applicants will be provided their interview date and time in early November via electronic mail.
You should apply to all available nominating sources, which include both United States Senate offices.